Mozilla is Broken
I’m quitting Mozilla, not that I have been really been into the community(mostly because they want me to do one thing, apply this to programs, not humans) but I was using and enjoying it for a long time(like since 2008). Also in about 2014 I switched from Thunderbird to mutt because I wanted something simple which does GPG, hard time to switch but I love it. And now it seems like Mozilla is killing Firefox for years :
- Version numbering doesn’t mean anything(patches, big change, small change, security update ?)
- Have a very bad privacy and security (look at the differences between tor browser and Firefox)
about:config-only: DNS over HTTPS to Cloudflare
- No more choice for the user
- OpenH264(non-free) is installed by default
- adb (android, non-free) is installed by default (Dev Edition ?)
- Pocket(non-free service) is installed, displayed, non-configurable at compile time → And now is integrated in it
- DRM (adobe EME) is active by default (can be disabled)
- Firefox Hello is installed, displayed, non-configurable at compile time
- Other New web stuff(WebRTC, HTML5 audio/video, …) have to be disabled/configured into about:config which is a total mess with no help (seamonkey/opera/linux-menuconfig are very good examples)
- add-ons have to be signed and only by Mozilla, non-configurable at compile time
- tracks you even if you disable all tracking in about:preferences
- Geo location can only be totally disabled with about:config
- Can’t choose a fallback(also weirdly called “Legacy”) encoding(old profile had it, about:preferences#content → Advanced(or Fonts, whatever) is shit, about:config is a mess)
- Broken multitasking. With chrom* when a tab crashes there is only one, in firefox it’s multiple/all tabs. (I had this issue with e10s and I still got it since the first days)
- Do Not Track is not respected on Mozilla Websites: Ignoring Do Not Track header, knowing nothing about what "tracking means" or what a "third-party" can do, being in this stupid reasoning where there is colateral tracking by Google Analytics and/or Ads Companies, also badly using the word "anonymous"(It means no name/identification).
- No Unicode even if my Locale is en_US.UTF-8 and configured to "Default for Current Locale", I have to change every single time to Unicode instead of Western (is that even a thing?)
- more and more slowness and crashes and new profile doesn’t help
And there is potentially way more shit (just look and the old but still open tickets)
Current solution: None, all browsers sucks and none sucks less, so I’m in a constant change of web browser everyday. See: www-client are broken
BTW if everyone have to use a LTS/ESR/real-stable version of a browser even if they are actual developers… well why is the Developer Edition based on Nightly ? For badly supported things like H.264 ? gstreamer works(can be an interface to ffmpeg). For brand new stuff ? Well most web-smiths have to support old browsers like IE6 or IE7. For marketing because we are the browser with tons of features ? Well I think so. I think Netscape did the same mistake in the browser-war, why change things?
Apparently since like… middle-late 2016 Mozilla Firefox is now better in Nightly than ESR. Whatever, it’s still broken for me.